Monday 22 December 2014

Its a Green Christmas!

When I brought my computer home for christmas I had to completely wipe the www file because for some unknown reason It was totally flipping out and now working. So another new skill was learned, where the delete button is (took me forever to figure out that It was the 'Move to Trash' button) and how to go into MySQL and re-create a database, which after a Google search or two, didn't take too long, I was pleasantly surprised. So an installation of Wordpress later I was faced with the daunting task of picking a theme, and lets just say my finickiness, it was the longest process.

After searching for hours, and yes really, hours; I ended up picking last years default theme. Then I spent 6 hours trying to edit a driver to make it work with Linux instead of Windows, but thats another story (It's still a work in progress, almost have it done though) After that It was plugin installs, which involved downloading .zip files, extracting them into the var/www/wp-content/plugin file, and then activating them in the localhost, and in the end I downloaded BBPress, a basic customizable forum, and Nice Login Widget, a login widget that allows you to put a shortcode (In that particular case [sp_login_shortcode]) which you just put in the text area and its a link to the widget without having to technically clicking on it.

Although I may make this sound like I didn't have any issues, that is not the case, I have issues with this stupid thing all the time, but apparently the more you struggle, the better you learn, I better suddenly be a genius soon because I've had my fair share of struggles with this project, I've started over from scratch multiple times because I screwed it up so badly. I just Don't write them down in detail because its slightly boring and I'm not sure of the technical names of that was wrong, an example would be just before I was writing this, I changed the permalinks in Wordpress to a custom setting, and when I kept on getting 404 errors, It took forever to figure out what was wrong (putting it back to the default permalink fixed it, lesson: Don't touch default settings that you don't know anything about.)

*Checks the spelling a million times over but still probably sounds like gibberish* Well I think that's it for the moment, now it's just filling in the information and putting the icing on the cake (Just kidding, I hate icing, more like whipped cream on Pumpkin pie) 

No comments:

Post a Comment